Zen is a great starter theme for Drupal. Below are steps to get your zen sub-theme set up.
- Visit http://drupal.org/project/zen and download the current version
- Unzip the files and place in your themes directory (ex.
- Copy the entire starterkit folder and paste it outside the current zen folder
- Rename the actual folder (ex. mytheme), and the info file. Only lower case and underscores
- Edit the info file by changing the name and description and save the file. This will help you tell the difference between your theme and the starterkit on the themes admin page
- Open the
template.phpfile and do a search and replace of "STARTERKIT" with your theme name (ex. mytheme). Save and close the file
- Same as step 6 just with the
theme-settings.phpfile. Open the
theme-settings.phpfile and do a search and replace
- Open the actual zen folder located at
- Copy the
print.cssfiles and paste into your sub theme folder
- Go back to the
zen/zen/folder and copy the
zen.css. Paste the file into your sub theme folder and rename it as your theme name (ex.
- Browse to
zen/zen/and decide if you want to use a fixed or liquid layout and copy the appropriate file. Paste the file into your folder and rename to
- Go to
admin/build/themesfind your theme name and enable your theme. You are now ready to create your sub theme
- See Drupal 6 Zen Subtheme - Advanced for more